- Marine Fish
- Marine Invertebrates
- Freshwater Fish
- Site Map
|Working Together To Keep Coral Reefs Alive|
|Marine Topics - Conservation|
|Written by The Coral Reef Alliance|
Dear Friends of CORAL,
There is plenty of bad news about coral reefs this year, but here is some good news. After years of work by lots of different organizations and individuals, President Clinton has issued an Executive Order creating the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands Coral Reef Reserve, the single largest nature reserve ever established in the United States.
The Reserve is approximately 84 million acres, of which approximately 4% or 3.3 million acres is protected "coral reef habitats". The NWHI Reserve is the largest protected area established in U.S. history.
While some are concerned that the protection offered by the Reserve is not complete enough, this is certainly a big step in the right direction for coral reefs. One of CORAL's primary goals is to build public awareness of the value of coral reefs and the need to protect them. We are happy that this growing public awareness is starting to turn into action, such as the creation of the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands Coral Reef Reserve.
Other information on size of the NWHI Coral Reef Reserve:
Approximate Area of the Reserve:
Approximately length of the Reserve: 1200 miles long
Approximate width of the Reserve: 100 miles wide.
Some comparisons - The NWHI Reserve is:
Thank you for your support of CORAL. With your help we can make sure that there will be more good news about coral reefs in the years to come.
More Marine Fishkeeping Articles and Saltwater Topics
- Flame Angelfish | Centropyge loriculus
- Cure Nuisance Algae
- Big, Bold and Beautiful Fish for The Marine Aquarium!
- Raising Clownfish
- Stocking A 4 Foot Saltwater Tank - The Master Plan
- Coral Reefs An Endangered Ecosystem
- Water Quality In Marine Systems
- Fishing With Cyanide - Coral Reef Genocide
- Marine Equipment Overview
- Saltwater Gobies - Go For A Goby
- (Finally) A How-To on Angelfish Reef Aquariums
- Mantis Shrimp - Thumb Splitters
- Craving Caves - Marine Aquarium Decor
- Livestock Euthanasia - A Taboo Subject?
- Star Polyps and Clavularia - The Star Of The Show
- Common Saltwater Fish Diseases
- UNEP - WCMC
- Calcium Reactors
- Marine Fish and Invertebrate Compatibility
- The Dark Tank!